Friday, September 21, 2007

Least he be judged


Yesterday's comment was right on: Tony did not want to be judged. When in his private live things got muddled he held up a painting in self-defense. One sees that gesture in several of his works. In his self-portraits he also often surrounded himself with his canvasses. In this painting he portrays himself without frills as a small, vulnerable man, at home on his slippers, dancing as he would in front of the canvas. Here he combines frailty, being Indian and an artist and a husband. This painting still breaks my heart as much as it makes me smile. The honesty of his work is part of what makes it great, yet we should not forget it is a self-definition: showing whom he was and how he wanted to be seen. Tony named this canvas: Paintdance for Annmarie, painted December 6, 1997.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

although I know this man not. It seems as though he were to be conducting an orchestra in this piece.

I can relate to being under the microscope of individuals that for the life of them have no other means to express themselves unless it is to discuss other peoples shortcomings, which they would choose to call them.

In my opinion there are people that find peace , and growth in times where our lips are held together while our medium may be different our pieces bring us piece .

we may seem as though we ignore the critics, but what we are doing is letting them sharpen our iron
sword.

The colors used in this piece are great. I focus on the red and the simple glyphs that you find.

simple yet they have spoken for ages and will speak until God comes back to take us up into glory.

signing the piece inside the piece is great its like tagging ( etching in your name) on the judges gavel in a court room.

what it says to me is "say whatever you want...remember this though...I already made it folks ...I already made it......"

Let the canvas speak and pen move down line , peace is what we all seek to find......

Zan One

geraldine said...

I'm drawn to that tension between being seen - knowing that I *am* seen for "who I am" - and wondering who sees me for who I want to be. Is the gap always wide or does it sometimes narrow to a near match?

:-)