Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The art critic


I wrote before that Tony didn't cherish art critics. Here the art critic is shown as the emperor without clothes contemplating paintings in a gallery, signed Tony Mafia. In the later period of his painting and life he often painted paintings in a painting. I knew he usually like big canvasses. So I asked one day why he did this kind of cutting up of the space he had at his disposal. His answer was: I won't have time to paint them all. I guess he thought them too intellectual, too much part of creating the establishment, not really being creative but judgmental. I like the strange forced perspective, the painted sculptings and the flat and three dimentional figure. I would call this a humorist's painting, a naughty child's superior prank.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like this ...""LEAST HE BE JUDGED"" is what I would call this if i were the one giving it a Title....Zan