Friday, September 14, 2007

Does anyone know?



There are many drawings and paintings of Tony out there: love, lost, acquired, received as a gift, lost again and found by someone who cares. This is one of those paintings. Zan, the proud owner, would like to know more about it, can anybody help him/her out? he tells me the canvas isn't in good shape and suspect it to be fairly old. As far as I can tell, I think it stems from the late fifties. In that period he lived on and off in Tijuana and Frank Sinatra asked his chauffeur George to go and find Tony and bring his portfolio. Tony told me Sinatra owned about 17 of his drawings and gave two to Queen Elizabeth when he was received at her palace. The painting has a clear Mexican iconography. It could be early sixties, briefly after he met his Danish wife, if the one female with the sleek hair has blue eyes. My bet is however on his Mexican period. I love the little sun and of course the telltale Tony flower.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tumbleweed,

Do you have a path for me to travel to sell this piece?

your help is appreciated!

Zan