Saturday, July 12, 2008

Real?


Someone who recently fell in love with Tony's work (through the blog!) bought this oil and seems to worry if it is the real thing. That is a fair question because I know of two instances, one in Antwerp and one in LA where another painter copied Tony's work. In Antwerp the guy (Frank) would pick up discarded drawings and then color them in. The US the painter was more subtle. As far as I can tell by the photograph it would be an oil painting and there are enough points of recognition in his way of handling the paint to think it is a genuine Mafia. Tony would do strange things, but the signature, the mask on the top right hand corner and the way the ladder is done would reassure me. If anybody knows more about the painting, please tell us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew Tony, Anne, and Soeren in 1969 when the lived for several months in North Miami Beach, Florida. A few years ago I put a couple of my photographs on my blog: thepriceofsilver.blogspot.com
One was a portrait of Tony and Anne. The other was Anne walking through their house holding little Soeren's hand. Anne was doing a google search and found them. She emailed me but I've since lost touch with her. I still have a couple of his paintings and my son has one also.

Al Kaplan, North Miami, FL
preacherpop42@aol.com

Quiet Sinner said...

Awesome Al! - rikke, his daughter