Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Four O'clock Red Sun

This Tony lithograph press is titled "Four O'clock Red Sun." Its number 11 out of the series of 12. My father bought Tony a lithograph press years ago, as I have found out, it was one of three presses Tony had. For Tony to live he would sell a drawing or painting and buy a bag of food. My dad has always been a kind man. After their initial meetings my dad started to pay for some of Tony’s painting supplies that Tony could not pay for, like the press. Tony had no job…he was an artist. That was what he devoted his whole being to. To my father, Tony showed a pure devotion to a craft. He had never met anyone in his life then or now who had such a vision. Tony would just sit by the window, letting the warm sunshine dance on his white hair while gazing at a fresh stroke of color etched by a master onto a piece of canvas, giving birth to his artwork.

This is the other piece that hangs in my room. I can see the influence Mexico had on this piece. The bull and the horsemen with a Mexican style hat. Now that is just my opinion as my father doesn't exactly remember when Tony did this series of lithographs.

No comments: