Friday, August 10, 2007

Freeing the Children


'Freeing the Children' is a recurrent theme in Tony Mafia's drawings and paintings. He used to say "our works are our children" and they had to move out in the world. He often wrote on his drawings, he also made me write on them. He liked the texts, but I couldn't write quite straight enough and thus I 'screwed up the balance', in his colorful words. Sometimes I would dictate the text, sometimes i wrote on the painting and other times he wrote them himself. In a while I'll post some of his texts, patience. If you click on this drawing, you'll be able to read the co-production of this gentle drawing which was shown at the retrospective in Kasteel Sorghvliedt, Hoboken, Belgium, 2003. Tony was insecure with his writing since he was dyslexic. Here in the texts 'there' probably was meant as 'their'... Although with Tony, one just never knew.

No comments: