Saturday, May 29, 2010

Torero

Dear Attila, thank you for your questions about Tony Mafia and this particular painting. From your description of the support (a kind of board with canvas on one side) for the painting I gather that he painted it in the United States. Probably in Los Angeles, California, in a period that he didn't have a real canvas and was a strugling artist without funds. It definitely is an original and a fairly early work I think, based on the way it is painted. I would say it is after his stay in Casares in Spain. The painting seems to be in good condition. That, the subject, also the size decides the value. A collector of Tony Mafia's paintings or a bullfight lover, might want to spend some money on this canvas. Bullfights were certainly a recurrent theme in his work. He loved the flamboyance and the vibrant colors, the life and death issues dealt with through beauty and ritual. I would put a 5.000 $ price for a particular sale. It may take a while however to find the person who would fall in love with the painting and willing to invest his money in Tony's work. I know for a fact that after the stay in Casares he had a show in Rue St. André des Arts in Paris with Spanish and bullfight paintings and that the show sold out. I heard it a couple of years ago from the Gallery owner Madame Besnard. So it might be a good thing for you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you very much. Now as I know the brief history of this piece I appreciate this painting more and more. And you're right, I live in Los Angeles, and probably this is where he made this. I will make a better framed photo and send it to you. Best regards

sesame said...

Hello Attila,

I could like to post a picture but don't know how.

Laura

Tumbleweed said...

you can contact me via 4th-plum@skynet.be
If you attach the picctures and tell me how you got them and what you know about the paintings or Tony, I'll post it for you!

thanks for contactingme,

tumbleweed