Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Warm over the stove

After showing some pictures of murals in Chloride that have been painted over, today you get to see some murals from Hoboken. See the delightful Indian scene over the fireplace. Tony had sworn never to do mural again because they just get lost... guess what... Tony painted those over when the place was replastered... There are a lot of narrative around about Tony. That is why I ask people to share their thoughts and feelings. Some saw him as an Indian others as a cowboy. Some thought he was the starving artist who made it from rags to riches... a scenario that never came true for him. To some he was generous, short tempered, proud, a genius. He objected to the last label because the consequences of that stigma are to heavy to carry.... Some saw him as a good musician and many saw him as a good friend. Because all the narrative surrounding Tony speak to peoples heart and mind he still lives on in many different imagined forms.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As do his works....S-I-L

Christopher Vipond Davies said...

I knew Tony back in 1965 in Paris. We played and sang together in a would be cowboy bar. I had left Britain a few months before to "find myself" and in St Tropez I had found I could make a basic living singing in the cafes. After moving north to work in the champagne harvest I gravitated to Paris. At that time, I didn't have a large repertoire and probably wasn't so good, especially at handling people who requested songs I didn't know. The boss like Tony but had reservations about me, but Tony insisted we were a pair. "I’m Just a Country Boy" - Music by Fred Brooks, Lyrics by Marshall Barer - written for Harry Belafonte and now associated most with Don Williams was a favourite song of his, he played in with a rising chord sequence. He wanted to go to Spain, I wasn't sure, and we parted, shortly later I went to Italy. I've always remembered him, also his great art, in those days I remember mainly ink drawings with colour was, a very immediate impression of a moment a place. I was very sad when I Googled him some time ago to find he'd passed on, but happy to find him so comprehensively remembered. I was reminded of him again last Saturday: I was singing n the street in Amsterdam, where I live, not far from the Rembrandthuis and an artist stopped to chat, and mentioned he'd known Deroll Adams who I read had known Tony, and all the memories came flooding back. Am working on finishing a song about him, based on Country Boy, wanna sing it on Tuesday at a meeting celebrating the UN Day of Friendship.
Christopher Vipond Davies, find on Facebook and at chrisvdavies@yahoo.com