Monday, January 19, 2015

A new brief testimony by Bonnie Karlyle

I met Tony in the early 60's when I was helping out another Tony, one of the owner's at Martoni's Restaurant in Hollywood. Tony had painted a mural on the wall. We hung out for a few months. At the time I was a model and inspiring actress and Tony wanted to paint my pictures but after many tries he wasn't happy with what he came up with and we gave up with my sittings. I remember a very soulful, sweet tortured man. I never did keep any of his tries at my painting.
RIP Tony.
Karen Conrad aka Bonnie Karlyle

3 comments:

Kate said...

I've been in and out of this page for many years as I am in possession of some Wonderful art by Tony. I just read your brief testimony posted this past January. I remember well the opening of The Whore's Fair at Martoni's Restaurant in Hollywood! In fact I still have an unopened invitation to that event, which was just a sampling of a small section of that enormous mural. I have often wondered if that mural is still there, or in fact if that restaurant is still there! The inspiration for that mural came from another huge painting entitled The Horse Fair.
One of my favorite original paintings is a good size one that Tony did for my Dad. I think it's one of the finest of his that I have ever seen. It was actually a "gift" from Tony in exchange for some framing that my Dad did for him. My parents owned the frame shop in Southern California in the early 70's where most of Tony's art was framed for his shows during that time.

Unknown said...

young lady who appears to be a flower child semi nude looks like circa 1960s. Could I send you a photo to have you take a look? Much appreciated, Melinda

Unknown said...

It looks like half my first comment disappeared when I edited. I have a large painting of a young lady who appears to be a flower child semi nude looks like circa 1960s signed Tony Mafia. Could I send you a photo to have you take a look? Much appreciated, Melinda