Thursday, February 28, 2013

Clowns in Amsterdam


I was contacted through a comment on this blog and asked to send a picture and some extra information. 
So Hans wrote: Hereby a picture of the Clown. I haven't got a photo of Winnie the Pooh, as it is currently with my daughter in the UK. I did not meet Tony personally, but a friend of mine met him in a bar in Amsterdam and I bought these two works via him in 63/64. He seemed a bit down and out at the time, so I heard. I am prepared to sell. Kind regards, Hans.

I think this is a pastel drawing. I would be interested to know it's size and whether it is beind glass. Tony was in love with the circus and did several drawings and large oils about that theme.

So if  you are interested in acquiring this piece, send a comment and I'll get you in touch with Hans.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a very nice piece, I watched him do similar works, Although I always saw Tony In a happy care free type of way, It seems that most all of his paintings that I ever had the chance to see had a sort of a dark side to them. As does this one, It is a happy picture with a sad look about it, I am sure that all that see it probably see something different though, That's what makes us individuals.

Norman L Bowman C.Ht

Tumbleweed said...

Hi Lewis, did you know Tony? Tell me more, please. Do you have work by him? Please do share it over the blog. I try to make it into a kind of catalog.
And yes, his happy clowns were not so hapy. As he was himself: seemingly happy go lucky and then dark moods.

Gexton said...


awesome! It's true haven't seen you put much painting up here in a while, but really sweet!
painters edmonton

painting contractor edmonton

Tumbleweed said...

Well, I still have photo material, but the quality isn't good. It wouldn't do justice to the work shown. Much of it is from old film rolls in the sixties...

alan_brackett said...

I knew Tony and in 1972 he painted a 'love-in' mural on my dining room wall. Still there- don't know what to do with it - it's a bearing wall so would be hard to move. Don't know if people in the future will appreciate it as I have all these years.

Tumbleweed said...

Hello Alan, Thank you for contacting me. Could you take good pictures of the mural, tell your story of Tony and I will post it. Murals are 'delicate things' In Chloride they painted over one in the Tennessee saloon when there was scene shot for universal soldier.... It even happened while he was there and broke his hart. Good pictures will preserve the spirit of his work although not the joy you had seeing him do it and living with it. Thanks.

Gldnlvr said...

I'm interested in the clowns!
Please contact me if you're still interested in selling.
danadew@charter.net