Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The flag

Tony was seen as many things, always as an American, also when he didn't agree with some of the war mongering that went on during his life. I would like to paraphrase Pascal Mercier: The stories that others tell about one and the stories one tells about oneself: which ones come nearer to the truth? Is it clear that it are our own ones? Is some one for oneself an authority? Or is the real question whether there is a difference between true or false? Is the soul a place of facts? Most information I pass on are the stories as told me by Tony, as I heard them. If I checked for dates or places, he would get angry. He then felt hemmed in. Some stories I tell are mine because I lived them with him, but I also lived the stories as he told them... The drawing is a monoprint with pastel and problably from 1970.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In spite of a some differences of opinion in politics Tony was about as proud of Buddy as anyone could be and this painting reminds me of that. I am so happy to see it again. S-I-L