Tuesday, June 24, 2008

To Love

This 1991 painting hangs in my room along with another tony piece. Note the old frame that this piece is set in. As I remember, granted I was much younger than I am now, Tony was one that would take an old frame and paint over it, then set one of his pieces in it. The Words LA FOU are written in the left corner. I assume that is where it was painted but I could be wrong. I love this piece of artwork as every time I look at it I find some thing else. For example the word LOVE certainly is visible to your eyes, but it took me some time to see just to the left of it there was another word TO. This is another from my fathers collection.

The poet adds: Sometimes when Tony did something really crazy in his mind, like this graffiti like painting, he would sign as Pierrot Le Fou. Pierrot being the circus figure and Le Fou being the fool. I remember a few landscapes signed that way. Of course he wrote la Fou since he didn't write French. The painting was done in 1991, in Chloride during my first stay. I am happy it has a good home.

No comments: