Monday, February 27, 2012

Bieke's painting and memories



When I was a young one, living in Antwerp, I fell in with a group of American expats. We all were drawn to The Folkcenter and The Matthijs, where Tony, Deroll Adams, and Norris held court. Those were the years when I took a little dip in the waters of folk singing myself but soon found out that I didn’t have the nerves to be a performer.
So, I crawled back into my pen.
Then I went and lived in England for a year. Tony went off somewhere. When I returned to Antwerp, he had come back as well. He would come and visit me and I would spend hours listening to his stories. He also played guitar for my baby son, who has grown into quite an accomplished guitarist.
One day, talking to Tony, I told him I was looking for a gift for my parents. The next time we met, he presented me with this painting of a mother and child. When I wanted to pay him, he refused the money. That was Tony: a golden heart, a wonderful painter, and a great story teller both with his guitar and with words.
I left for Canada, after that. He went god knows where. One day, about thirty years ago, I happened upon him as he was busking somewhere in Antwerp. Still Tony, still doing the same thing, still true to his inner voice. We talked for a while. Then a good ten years later, I was visiting Antwerp again and there he was again, at the same spot, busking. It wasn’t as if he had been there all that time. No, he had just come back from the States and I was there, as usual, for a short visit and on a rare occasion when I was not being driven by a family member.
It was one of those wonderful twists of fate.
This time he invited me to visit with him and, that evening, I reconnected with Annmarie, whom I hadn’t seen since those youthful days of the Folkcenter. I must say that I feel privileged to have known this man and to have called him my friend.
 And I am delighted to be able to visit with him on this blog.

Bieke Stengos (Cammaert)

2 comments:

fiddlegirl said...

I have a beautiful painting from Tony... It's a woman and a dove. How can I learn more about the painting?

Tumbleweed said...

Thanks for contacting me: you can send a good picture and how you came by it to fourthandplum@hotmail.com. If there is writing on it or a date and place that too would be helpful is you could put that in he mail and the dimensions ;-)
Hope to see it soon.