Thursday, April 24, 2008

Unknown


My father’s second piece of Tony’s artwork(above) he can thank Les Silver for. It was a rainy night and they were at the Rainbow Room on Sunset Blvd. Both were entering the men's room, and while standing there they noticed this blackboard hanging in front of them. He told Les that he thought it was a strange place to hang a blackboard, which would be my first thought if I was in his position staring at a blackboard jumping out in front of my eyes above the urinal. Les said that it was probably covering up a hole in the wall. My dad, being as curious as a child, looked behind the board only to find that his friend was right. As his eyes withdrew from the gaping hole in the restroom wall, he noticed that there was a painting in the back of the blackboard...it was a Tony Mafia oil. Anyone would be able to guess his next reaction. He was confused as to why someone would put a painting where no one could see it. Les noticed my dad’s bewilderment, and asked him what was wrong. He explained to Les about the painting and about Tony Mafia. They finished their business and walked back to the table to pay their bill, put on their raincoats, and Les said he needed to go to the restroom again and for my father to meet him outside. My dad recounted it this way, “Les then came out, as it was raining and he said LETS GO! We got to my car, he took off his coat and there was the painting. He said ‘Didn't you want it?’ I said yea. He said ‘You'll take better care of it!’” The painting that was stolen by Les is still hanging in our living room. I was blown away. My dad has a stolen painting; I guess no one is perfect after all. My dad added that later in life he told Tony, who loved the story.

No comments: